The safest way to thaw frozen turkey is either in the refrigerator or in cold water.
Never thaw your turkey at room temperature.
This method of thawing a turkey is the safest, as it keeps the meat cold until it is completely defrosted.
- Place turkey on a tray on a bottom shelf in refrigerator.
- Allow 5 hours of thawing time per pound (10 hours/kg).
Cold Water Method:
- Keep the turkey in its original wrapping.
- In a large container, cover the turkey completely with cold water.
- Change the water at least every hour.
- Allow 1 hour of thawing time per pound (2 hours/kg).
Once thawed, keep your turkey refrigerated and cook within 48 hours.
Some products are meant to be cooked from frozen; always read your product label carefully.