This recipe will make enough dressing to stuff a 25 lb. (11.3 kg) turkey or it can be baked in a 9 x 12” (23 x 30 cm) casserole dish.
- In a large stock pot, sauté onion, carrot and celery in butter until soft.
- Add sausage meat, gently breaking it up into small pieces.
- Add thyme, pepper, and half of each of the salt and sage and combine.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Place egg bread cubes or crumbs in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour vegetable and sausage mixture over, add the rest of the sage and salt. Mix until combined and set aside to cool before stuffing turkey.
- To bake separately from the turkey, place in a lightly greased 9 x 12” (23 x 30 cm) casserole dish, cover and bake in a 350ºF (175ºC) for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp on top.
- If roasting in the turkey, place stuffing loosely in turkey’s cavities just before turkey is placed in a preheated oven.
- When roasting, any stuffing placed in the cavity of the turkey should reach an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).