TIP: There are a few ways you can lighten up this recipe even further : use only turkey breast meat use skim milk instead of 2 percent use low fat turkey broth or vegetable broth serve over rice or noodles instead of puff pastry shells
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until translucent and cooked through, but not browned, 5-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Remove onion mixture from the pan.
- Add flour to the pan and cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add butter and stir until melted and incorporated with flour. Mixture should appear crumbly.
- Slowly add broth and milk in increments and stir until flour and butter mixture has dissolved.
- Add the bay leaves, nutmeg and thyme.
- Heat and bring to a gentle simmer until mixture begins to thicken, 6-8 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add onion mixture, turkey, asparagus and peas. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir gently and heat until asparagus and peas are tender and cooked, 3-5 minutes. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Ladle into prepared pastry shells and serve immediately.