As an accompaniment, I suggest you make a quick cranberry chutney with a cup of fresh or frozen cranberries, half a cup of dried cranberries and 1/3 cup of sugar. Leave to simmer gently on low heat for about twenty minutes. Let cool before serving.
Pulled turkey preparation
Pie dough preparation
- This step can be prepared the day before. Preheat the oven to 325 F. In a large pan, brown the turkey leg on all sides for about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole.
- In the same pan, caramelize the onion. Brown the carrot and celery. Deglaze with apple cider vinegar. Arrange the vegetables around the turkey leg. Add the bay leaf, the green part of the leek and the broth. Bake for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the meat from the leg making sure to remove all the small bones. Let cool and put aside in the refrigerator.
- In a food processor bowl, mix the flour with the salt and butter a few seconds at a time, until you get a granular texture.
- Add the sour cream (or water if necessary) and mix until a ball of dough is formed.
- Remove the dough and split it in order to obtain 2 disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a sheet of parchment paper, add a little flour and roll out the dough to a thickness of 3 to 4 mm (1/8 inch) with a roll.
- With a cookie cutter of about 5 inch (12 cm), make a dozen circles for the muffin cups. With a smaller cookie cutter of about 3 inches (7 cm), prepare 12 circles to cover mini pies.
Assembling and cooking the mini pies
- While the pie dough is resting, brown leek white and shallot in a large skillet. Add ground turkey and cook until nicely colored. Add pulled turkey and broth and let reduce for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Put large pastry circles in the muffin pans. Add about 60 mL (1/4 cup) of filling. Cover each pie with the small pastry circle. Seal the dough well. Make a cross-shaped cut in the center of each mini pie. Brush the crust with the egg wash (mixture of egg yolk and milk).
-Bake for 45 minutes, until the crust is golden. If you want to freeze the mini pies for later, cook them only for 30 minutes. To heat the frozen mini meat pies, cook at 425 F for about fifteen minutes.
-Quickly remove the mini turkey pies right out of the oven.