TIP – Here’s a money saving tip: You can easily make your own scallopini by buying a whole turkey breast and thinly slicing and pounding the meat flat.
- Slice the eggplant into medium-thick (1 cm) slices.
- Lightly salt both sides of the eggplant and place on a paper towel to absorb moisture. Let sit for 15 minutes per side.
- To make tomato sauce, heat olive oil and onions in a medium sized frying pan over medium heat.
- Sauté until onions are lightly browned, 6 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning and sugar, and reduce heat to a gentle simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season scallopini with salt and pepper.
- Dip scallopini in flour, then egg and finally Panko.
- Repeat with eggplant.
- Broil both scallopini and eggplant on the middle rack of the oven until cooked and browned, 5-8 minutes per side. (time will vary depending on your oven)
- Layer in an ovenproof dish. Start with some tomato sauce, then follow with eggplant, tomato sauce, turkey, tomato sauce again, then finally eggplant. Sprinkle each layer lightly with Parmesan cheese.
- Top with mozzarella.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool slightly and serve.