This burger mixture would make a delicious turkey meatloaf as well. If you prefer a turkey loaf, press gently into a loaf pan and cook in a 325F (190C) oven for 1 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 165F (74C). Brush the loaf with the peanut sauce before baking for a sweet and tangy glaze. If your kids don't like any of the ingredients, feel free to leave them out. Some grated carrot would bump up the nutrition of these burgers as well.
- Mix all burger ingredients together in a large bowl just until combined.
- To test for seasoning, make a small flat patty and fry it in canola/vegetable oil in a pan over med-high heat until cooked through. If they need salt, add more.
- Gently form your patties being sure to press the apples into the mixture really well so they don't fall out in cooking.
- Cook 5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165oF (74oC).
- Place patties on clean towel/paper towel to blot any excess oil.
- While the patties rest, make the peanut sauce by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and add more soy for salt; more vinegar for tang or sugar for sweetness, as required.
- Sprinkle a little cheese on half your buns and toast them all in a 400oF (205oC) oven until golden brown. Remove from the oven, top with patties, peanut sauce, cucumber and spinach. Place top bun on and enjoy!